100% All-Natural Content
No Artificial Intelligence!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What's a good "upconverting" DVD player?

Lisa and I are still in awe at "the Behemoth": the 37 inch LCD high-def TV we got about two weeks ago. Not that we're really that materialistic or anything: "instant gratification" is something we've never really pursued so far as "buying things" goes. But all the same: this is one heckuva television... and I've never even been a die-hard TV person! It's not just the high-def broadcast that's amazing either: I never imagined that Halo on the Xbox could look so beautiful.

So yeah, we like it a lot. And though I'm on the conservative side when it comes to new technology, I must admit that I would love to get as much out of this as I can. The sound quality is perfect for us as it is (I doubt I'll ever spring for a Surround Sound or home THX system) but when it comes to playing DVDs, well...

I'm waiting at least two years, and see which of the two competing high-def formats becomes the standard. But all the same, I'd love to get as good a picture as can possibly be produced from my collection of DVDs.

So for the past several days I've been researching standard DVD players with the "upconversion" feature, or sometimes called "upscaling". That means that the player enhances the video data from the DVD for output through the HDMI channel. A lot of people swear that this makes standard DVDs look really good on an HDTV: that even at 1080i it's pretty stunning. If there's any way to make my precious Star Wars saga or The Lord of the Rings look that much more awesome on this high-def set, I'd certainly fork over a reasonable amount of coin for it.

So if anyone knows of a DVD player with upconversion that would be well worth the money, that you know does a really good job at improving the resolution/color/other stuff, I'd appreciate it if you could please recommend it to me :-) Thanks!

0 comments: