100% All-Natural Content
No Artificial Intelligence!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Our first look at the Thestrals!

Darth Larry found some great new pics at The Leaky Cauldron of new Harry Potter merchandise. Look at this one: to the best of my knowledge, this is the very first good look at what the Thestrals look like:

What are Thestrals? Well, if you only know Harry Potter from the movies and haven't read the books, you have seen these creatures already... kinda. Harry doesn't actually behold what Thestrals look like until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Luna Lovegood assures him that he is not losing his mind. It takes a particular sort of person - someone who has had a certain kind of experience - to see these grotesque yet magnificent animals. They're probably one of my favorite magical creatures in the Harry Potter series. Expect to see them play a fairly big role in the upcoming movie adaptation of Order of the Phoenix.

2 comments:

Jenna St.Hilaire said...

Awww, sweet. They're much like I pictured them--just filled in some details. I wonder if the audience perspective will shift back and forth between seeing them, like Harry and Neville and Luna, and not seeing them, like everyone else. A little Ron's-eye view, flying toward the Ministry of Magic on something he can't see, would be rather cool.

I know I've said it before, but one of the things I'm most looking forward to about movie #5 is Luna Lovegood. Should be interesting to see what newcomer Evanna Lynch does with the role; her Wikipedia article sounds rather promising :-)

Anonymous said...

I think they're cute. They remind me vaguely of the PĂșca ^_^