100% All-Natural Content
No Artificial Intelligence!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My wife leaves me to go study banjos

No joke: over the past 3 months my wife Lisa has been gone from home for roughly a month. All on trips to places where she's been learning how to enhance her abilities as a music teacher. This past week she went to the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching out in Cullowhee (right across the road from Western Carolina University) to learn about the banjo and its history: from its origins in Africa to its adoption as a traditional Appalachian folk instrument.

Look! Lisa even posted about it on her blog!

She had a lot of fun. And she learned a lot about the banjo and how to apply it to her classes. Not to mention that she brought home a wazoo-load of CDs from bluegrass groups that came to the seminar like Carolina Chocolate Drops and Balsam Range.

In spite of its location, Lisa informs me that at no time did anyone perform "Dueling Banjos"...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My wife leaves me to go study banjos"

Thats right. Give me a heart attack.

;-)

Anonymous said...

I would recomend checking out Appalachian Picking Society. I found it at the Library and then bought it from Amazon. It is great.h

Anonymous said...

I second that. Appalachian Picking Society is one of the best instrumental folk albums in circulation.