100% All-Natural Content
No Artificial Intelligence!

Monday, December 03, 2007

First official image of Darth Plagueis

Last week the new Star Wars book Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force came out. I haven't bought it yet but might later this afternoon (and I found these images on Wookieepedia). Within it, hauntingly painted by Chris Trevas, there is the first-ever "canon" image (meaning it's fully approved by Lucasfilm) of Darth Plagueis. If you saw Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith then you already know that Darth Plagueis was the Sith Master who trained Darth Sidious. He was also obsessed with stopping death.

So here it is: Chris Trevas' portrait of Darth Plagueis (watching a young Sidious spar with a lightsaber):

And here's a close-up of the face of Plagueis:

Even though that's just one picture, that's still an awful lot more about Plagueis than has been released since Episode III. There was going to be a novel about Darth Plagueis that James Luceno was working on, but it was cancelled mid-stream 'cuz Lucasfilm announced that George Lucas wanted to keep a tighter grip on the Plagueis/Sidious part of the Star Wars backstory. Might this mean then that we might start seeing more about Darth Plagueis? Let's hope so! :-)

3 comments:

qemuel said...

I like his robe; very mage-like.

Sorry to read about the delay in running for Congress, but it'll be nice having someone to vote for in 2009 that I am 100% sure doesn't suck.

Also: I am curious as well as to what computer you ended up buying.

Hope all is well!
:)

Chris Knight said...

It just wasn't time for it. I'm going to spend the next few years on *creating* stuff. You can't do that much in Congress.

Besides, I'm going to be spending a lot of that time developing my business. Ain't no telling how much better I'll get at making commercials between now and when I do run and start making them for my campaign :-)

The computer is *nice*! Intel quad-core, 8 gigs of RAM, 320 mb of video RAM, tons of hard drive space, dual-layer DVD burner (never had one of those before), plenty more... should be plenty enough brute force for high-def editing.

This will also be more than enough power to produce Keys and do it right. The original plan was to shoot it in standard def, just to see if it's possible to do that with a standard definition camcorder. But if we're gonna make a full-length feature, might as well do it right :-)

BTW, worth keeping in mind that Darth Plagueis is a Muun (that skinny, skeletal-looking race that was introduced in Episode II). I didn't know what to make of that when I heard that he wasn't going to be fully-human... but after seeing this image and this one fan depiction that has Plagueis with a lightsaber, I must say that I like the idea of him being a Muun after all.

And in this pic he looks a lot like Lance Henriksen did in one of his roles from years ago, complete with hood... so now I'm hearing Henriksen's voice as Plagueis :-)

Anonymous said...

I purchased that Star Wars, Jedi vs Sith book last year when it came out. Good read, but wasn't put together very well and started to fall apart; or maybe the Arizona heat had something to do with it.
Nevertheless, similar to the majority of Lucas' materials/products, it was merely a teaser and left me wanting more.